Friday, February 24, 2012

WOW is consuming my life :)

So I started to play WOW last Friday I believe and I got so wrapped in to it that I'm at level 25 and I can't stop. I actually had to pry myself away so I could get work done for other classes. I always seem to do this with random games. I just want to play them all the time...but only if I'm doing well. I love my character, Blood Elf Paladin, Vanestra, because she kicks butt. Another plus side to this game is that I'm better than my boyfriend Andrew :) But here is the question that I want to ask/answer. Do I (you) get more wrapped up in a game when we are suceeding? (Do you spend more time on it?). I know I do. When I'm doing well in a game I could play for hours on end because I love leveling up and collecting items/kills. But say I'm playing the campaign for Gears of War. I quit about 20 minutes into it because I just can't seem to get the hang of it and finish what is required to move on. I usually play the online PVP, but if I'm not getting a lot of kills I just turn it off and not think about it for a while. I love gratification from a game and if I'm not getting it then I move on to another game. I think part of the reason for this is because of how easy it is (like we discussed in class). In real life, I feel like no matter how much I do I'm failing because I can't measure my sucess by levels and experiance points. I'm struggling with 6 classes, a job, a hunt for a second job, trying to find money to pay off my credit card debt and school tuition bill, I seem to never get everything done that I want to get done, my GPA isn't high enough, I don't go to the gym, etc etc, on and on. It's just too much. But in WOW, all my quests are listed for me and I'm told exactly where to go. For my accomplishments I get experiance points and know exactly when I level up. Does this mean I'm going to ditch the real world completely and just play this game instead of dealing with life? Not a chance. But it is a nice break from everything. I'm able to relax but also be engaged at the same time. I'm the type of person that needs to be doing something every second of the day otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my life away. Even now, I'm at work and I have a break, but instead I'm on here writing a blog while writing down the lists of things that need to get done this weekend. Games are good for me because I can do something without overloading myself and shorting out like I so often do.
So, like I asked before, do you get wrapped up more in a game that you are suceeding at? And why?

1 comment:

  1. I wondered who Vanestra was. To answer your question, i feel like the answer is yes. Because if i just died or failed a quest, it makes me want to give up so i usually log off and come back later to do more questing. I think once the achievements on WOW were created, that made more people play, because there were sent things that they were expected to do in order to get rewards. I know it made me play more.

    ReplyDelete