Monday, February 6, 2012

“Something about being rejected at Church Camp felt so much more awful than being rejected at school. ”

This book made me thankful to be agnostic. When I was growing up, my mom would take us to CCD (Catholic Sunday school) and I don't remember much except for the priest telling all of us at communion that if we didn't repent that we were going to hell. Between that incident and my parent's divorce we left/were kicked out of the church. I revisited the whole god idea a few years later because my best friend grew up in an uber Christian family, but still didn't believe. I hold strong to the fact that there is something out there but not necessarily the Christian god and I think part of this decision was made thanks to the harshness of the church I went to. I hate when people shove their opinions and beliefs down my throat and expect me to just comply. Maybe that was part of the reason Craig stopped believing in god. All those years of just having others tell him that they are right and he should take their word for it, no questions asked, can really have a toll on someone. 
One example being the teacher that told him basically that drawing was stupid and not god's work. How the hell would you know that? This book really showed the bible-thumping side of Christianity and how they rarely practice what they preach. Do they not say that god will love you no matter what? 
Another part that really got to me (and the honesty surprised me) was when the preacher let Craig know that the Bible wasn't exactly the word of god and because of this Craig stopped believing. There are so many contradictions in the Bible that it makes it hard for me to believe that people eat it up and say it's law. (Yet they get the option to pick and choose what they'll follow. Problem?) 
I liked watching his struggle with Christianity throughout the story because it shows a certain degree of honesty about how religion works in the individual. I know a few people that have experienced a similar struggle and they have a hard time talking about it, so it was nice to get someone's true feelings on the matter. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't like Catholic Churches. I went to a few with my grandma, and they aways seemed unfriendly and foreign to me. I get what you mean about not practicing what you preach. Thats probably the biggest irritation I have about church. But I just kinda have learned that you have to love and accept everyone, because its apparently very tough for some people to live a spiritual and sinless lifestyle. But its not impossible. I too liked the struggle of christianity in the novel. It reminded me of a guy from survivor where he tried to live godly, but faced inner demons on a daily basis. I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete